BARBADOS COMMUNITY COLLEGE VACANCY
The Board of Management of the Barbados Community College invites persons to fill the following vacant position:
The Accounts Department maintains procedures to ensure that all Divisions and Departments at the College are well supported and are provided with the resources they need to conduct the educational programmes.
This individual is responsible for general accounting functions including preparing journal entries, maintaining balance sheet schedules and bank reconciliations. Assisting with month end closures, account analysis and supporting the Senior Accountant and Finance Officer in carrying out the responsibilities of the accounting department.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or levels one/two of an accounting qualification
- Minimum of three (3) years’ experience at the level of Assistant Accountant
- Knowledge of accounting principles and practices
- Experience in using MS Office and accounting software e.g. CloudSuite and Colleague, or willingness to learn will be an asset
- Experience in analysing financial information and preparing reports
- Knowledge of Government Accounting systems will be an asset
Salary Scale: $3,831.82 - $4,842.17 (Z16-8)
Applications indicating the position should be accompanied by a detailed Curriculum Vitae, two recent testimonials and should be sent on or before Tuesday, July 12, 2022 by 4:00 p.m. to:
VACANCY - CONFIDENTIAL
Board Secretary, Board of Management,
via email only to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged
SUMMARY OF CORE FUNCTIONS:
Responsible for general accounting functions including preparing journal entries, maintaining balance sheet schedules and bank reconciliations. Assists with month end closures, account analysis and supporting the Senior Accountant and Finance Officer in carrying out the responsibilities of the accounting department.
LIST OF DUTIES:
- Assumes responsibility for the Accounting functions in the absence of the Senior Accountant.
- Performs the duties of Certifying Officer in accordance with financial regulations, namely, the Public Finance Management Act, 2019.
- Assumes responsibility for ensuring that journals are created and processed in a timely manner.
- Assists in ensuring that the general ledger is updated to meet reporting deadlines.
- Prepares analysis of accounts as requested.
- Assists with reconciliation of Account Receivables – reconciliation and collection of outstanding debts.
- Assists with payroll administration.
- Assists with the preparation and coordination of the audit process.
- Assists with implementing and maintain internal financial controls.
- Carries out such other reasonable duties as may be assigned by the Finance Officer or any duly authorized person.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting; and not less than one (1) year’s relevant experience; or
- Completion of Levels 1, II and III of the Certified Accountants Association programmme or the equivalent level of a professional qualification in Accounting recognized by the Institute of Chartered Accountant of Barbados. Not less than three (3) year’s relevant experience is required; or
- An associate degree in Accounting. Not less than five (5) years’ relevant experience;
- Demonstrate knowledge of the mission and vision of the organization.
- Extensive knowledge of the functions and duties of the post and how they contribute to the mission and vision.
- Knowledge of Financial Rules and Regulations 1971; th e Financial Administration and Audit Act.
- Knowledge of the National Assistance Act CAP 48.
- Knowledge of the General Orders.
- Knowledge of CloudSuite Financial system and Colleague (Student Information System)
- Relevant knowledge of the Public Service Act CAP. 25.
- Relevant knowledge of the Employment Rights Act (ERA) 2012-19.
- Relevant knowledge of the Safety & Health 2005-12.
- General knowledge of the BCC Staff Manual.
- Computer literacy.
- Telephone etiquette.
- Knowledge of operating electronic equipment provided.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Proficiency in the use of all Microsoft applications.
- Demonstration of good Time Management skills.
- Demonstration of effective Interpersonal Relationship skills.
- Excellent Oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Ability to work speedily and accurately under pressure.
- Ability to maintain high level of confidentiality.
- Demonstrated ability to work with young people.
- Familiarity with Applied Information Technology.
ON THE JOB TRAINING: As required
- Must be prepared to keep up to date in profession.
- Must be willing to encourage and support organizational initiatives.
- Must be willing to share information, knowledge and resources with others when required to do so.
- Must maintain high moral and ethical standards.
CONDITIONS OF SERVICE:
- Sick days will be allowed but not to exceed two (2) days, after which you will be required to submit a medical certificate.
- Entitled to vacation as earned, maximum of forty-two (42) days per calendar year.
- Based on the nature of the position, it may be necessary to work outside of normal hours, for which there will be no compensation.